According to former America’s Cup Captain and Oxbow Corporation Presdient, Bill Koch, “The problem of competition is primarily a management problem.” According to Koch a few guidelines are steadfast reminders of the dynamic impact of the teamwork-technology-talent relationship.
- Develop team players according to the 80/20 rule: 80 percent attitude, 20 percent talent.
- Management’s job is to keep the team focused, not perform subordinates’ jobs.
- It is the team that wins. Management must be part of the team, along with customers and suppliers. Team members must have compatible goals and agendas.
- Everyone is equally important. The only ego that counts is the ego of the team.
- Along with teamwork, technology is the most effective tool to achieve your organization’s goals. Technology can be especially effective when used in areas in which others are convinced it does not apply. This is how an organization can make tremendous gains over its competitors.
- Always improve. Mistakes are fine as long as you learn from them, and you “don’t bet the farm.”
Timeless wisdom for any team.