Here’s what I believe about HR:
- It just may be the single most untapped opportunity in business today.
- Marketing is about them. HR is about US.
- HR needs to listen to the criticism, not whine about it, and then do something about it.
- HR executives have a choice to be great…or merely average at best.
- Lawyers have turned HR into “don’t get sued.” HR is much more than that.
- The greatest concerns HR should focus on are hiring people you can trust, getting them to perform and keeping them when they do. These three concerns drive profitability. All other concerns are a distant second.
- People who trust each other don’t sue each other.
- HR executives have to believe in themselves first before they can be truly effective.
- HR would be well served to better understand business acumen in general.
- HR should know all the math surrounding personnel activities.
- HR should outsource as many administrative functions as possible so they can focus on growing and protecting the business.
- HR has to become proficient at using new technologies including HRIS and social media.
- HR has to better market itself if it wants “a seat at the table.”
- HR has to work on “branding” the employee experience.
- HR can be fun and profitable–that’s a choice too!